Re: Missing pyuic5, pyrcc5 and pylupdate5 from python3-pyqt5 (was Re: Missing qt5-designer in Stretch)

On 11/15/2017 03:19 AM, Christian Seiler wrote:
Hi there,

Am 2017-11-15 06:12, schrieb Marc Shapiro:
Now that QtDesigner is running I can look at the rest of the build
chain and I find that the programs listed in the subject (pyuic5,
pyrcc5 and pylupdate5 ) are missing from python3-pyqt5. According to
the docs on Sourceforge these should all be included in the upstream
package.  Has Debian split them off somewhere and not listed it as a
Depends, or Recommends?

$ apt-file search pyuic5
pyqt5-dev-tools: /usr/bin/pyuic5
pyqt5-dev-tools: /usr/share/man/man1/pyuic5.1.gz

To see what binary packages are built from the same source package
as python3-pyqt5:

1. Get the source package name:

$ apt-cache show python3-pyqt5 | grep ^Source:
Source: pyqt5

2. Get all binary packages associated with it (the "tr" is for better
readability):

$ apt-cache showsrc pyqt5 | grep Binary: | tr ',' '\n'

The reason Debian doesn't have a single binary package is that you
don't actually need these tools to _use_ PyQt5, only to develop it.
(Similarly to C/C++ development, where there also are separate
development packages.) This way you can select what you want to
install.

Regards,
Christian

Thanks for the tip on how to find all the packages from a single source file.  I'm not surprised that the dev tools are in a separate package -- I just couldn't find it.  I was looking through the files beginning with 'python3-pyqt5', or 'python-pyqt5' so I missed the three (all of which I want) whose names begin with 'pyqt5' without the 'python' prefix.

Thanks again.

Marc