Workable installation of VTK and GWT

I have been trying for weeks to install the Elmer FEM program from the Git repository. I have constantly had the problem that the program will require the installation of some program or library that Debian doesn't specifically list. If I search by program name I get a long list of library functions with permutations containing the name for which I did the search. I am down to VTK and GWT installations.

Can any one tell me what constitutes a working installation of these packages. The Elmer program is written in a combination of C, C++ and Fortran.

Debian Stretch
KED Desktop
Athlon FX processor
Installation on KVM virtual machine.