Re: Debian v9 it's a stretch

>> -  Hello,
>> Is this the Chevrolet users' support group?
>> I just bought this new Chevy and I am having all kinds of problems I've never had before with a Chevy or any other car for that matter.
>> -  What problems are you having, because all other owners are happy.
>> -  Pretty much anything I was used to do is not working or ends up in an error.
>> -  Are you sure it is a Chevy and not an immitation?
>> -  Yes I am sure, it is the all new Chevy Corvair, I was told it is the world's safest car at any speed, even parked in the garage.
>> -  But you haven't mentioned what problem you are having.
>> -  Well, for one, when I hit the brakes hard I end up looking face to face with the truck that was half a mile behind me.
>> -  What brake pads did you install?
>> -  I didn't change any brake pads, it is new I tell you!
>> -  Well, that's why, you haven't changed the pads.
>> -  What about going around a fast corner and the car steers all by itself?
>> -  You shouldn't be going so fast around a bumpy corner.
>> -  When I hit the gas on the rain the car keeps going straight, even with the wheel turned.
>> -  Why are you hitting the gas with the wheel turned, you should only use it when going straight.
>> -  That's OK, I'll trade it in for a Ford, I hear people dying in these Corvairs.
>
> You have gone to a lot of trouble to type this. We appreciate it.
>
> Does it answer anything.
I think it addresses an important issue. I know developers are proud
of their code in the same way that parents are proud of their children
and artists are proud of their paintings. A lot of work goes into it.
The trouble is when it's oversold and fails to live up to its
advertising. You can't say that something is a stable upgrade from the
previous version and then be surprised that users are annoyed when
they find it isn't.

I use open source software appreciating that I'm part of an experiment
where I'll be on my own if something goes wrong. If the marketing and
community stuck to that message, you'd get fewer complaints because
you can say 'You knew what you were getting into.' I found it
refreshing when someone said 'if you want your hand held, go some
place else', because was an honest reflection of the facts and his
ability to provide support.

So, yes, it answers how you reduce complaints from frustrated users:
don't oversell your software in the first place.

> Is Chevrolet an OS (Operating System)?
No, it is not, but physical machines and software machines share a lot
of similarities, hence the analogy.

> That probably doesn't help you much, but let the record show that
> stretch does work great for at least some people...
True, and perhaps the press release should have reflected that: "The
Debian community is proud to release version 9 of our operating
system, codename Stretch. It should would great for at least some
people!"