Re: failure of cheese with a Microsoft LifeCam NX-6000

On 9/5/17, peter@easthope.ca <peter@easthope.ca> wrote:
> Any insights about these messages when cheese fails?
>
> guest@imager:~$ cheese
>
> (cheese:1572): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: cheese.css:7:35:
>   The style property GtkScrollbar:min-slider-length is deprecated and
>   shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version
>
> (cheese:1572): cheese-WARNING **: Device '/dev/video0' cannot capture
>   in the specified format: gstv4l2object.c(3583):
>   gst_v4l2_object_set_format_full ():
> /GstCameraBin:camerabin/GstWrapperCameraBinSrc:camera_source/GstBin:bin28/GstV4l2Src:v4l2src1:
> Tried to capture in BGR3, but device returned format MPEG
>
> (cheese:1572): Cogl-WARNING **: driver/gl/cogl-pipeline-opengl.c:932:
> GL error (1280): Invalid enumeration value
>
> What is a "Theme parsing error"?

*probably wouldn't hurt to grab a cup of coffee first* :)

Reading the whole warning message, in part that "style property
GtkScrollbar:min-slider-length", says it appears to be about
aesthetics, visual design of the package. Top most important in that
warning is where it says, "It will be removed in a future version." So
really it SOUNDS LIKE it's saying... keep moving. *grin*

If there was no reference acknowledging the things included in your
error, *I* personally would at least have had the thought about
submitting it as a bug. Severity would be marked very low, of lesser
importance.

> Is there a simple fix for the format problem?

Never seems to be if I stick my foot in, grin. ABSOLUTE FIRST FIRST
that I would try is to see if there's a Preferences setting somewhere.

It's 50/50 there, but it's that "cannot capture in the specified
format" part that I'm feeling. That unknown "BGR3" is lurching out at
me, too. *To me*, that's saying cheese can't capture, does not have
the programming capability, to save a file in that not-so-familiar
BGR3 that it SOUNDS LIKE your hardware(??) is outputting.

I had a similarly different issue with a cheap Canon FS40 tiny little
video camera a few months ago. Short story long: You might have to dig
around on the Net while using creative mixes of keywords.

MY FIX: Thunar (file manager) wasn't displaying thumbnail images for
Canon's .MOD file extensions, AND video players were NOT running those
movies. Changing .MOD extensions to .MPG immediately helped video
players recognize the same otherwise UNALTERED files. Go figure.

BUT still no thumbnails in Thunar so I did some (more) digging. Just
checked my notes and found that my new, ongoing reminder to myself is
to install "ffmpeg" as one of my own top level desired packages
immediately after debootstrap installs. This is ffmpeg's description:

Description-en: Tools for transcoding, streaming and playing of multimedia files
 FFmpeg is the leading multimedia framework, able to decode, encode, transcode,
 mux, demux, stream, filter and play pretty much anything that humans and
 machines have created. It supports the most obscure ancient formats up to the
 cutting edge.

That may or may not help, but I sure like its "all inclusive" feeling
description. THE CAVEAT is that this goes down that path into
continuing support for instead of REPLACING proprietary
hardware/software combinations........

BUT.. that package *is* available in the main, most protective Debian
repository.

As a related aside about happenings in Debian, the Policy folks had
just been chatting up about where to draw the hard set line for what
goes in main and/or is shifted over to contrib. My understanding was
that conversation was concerning when main packages point, sometimes
even in their package descriptions, to more proprietary things outside
Debian's control.

Depending on whatever is decided on that one, the feel I got across
the Net was that things like this ffmpeg package might eventually
inspire their own forked thread about how those things fall into line
with Debian Policy. Am saying that because it's things we should at
least have heard even if we don't fully understand until later on down
the road. :)

Ok.. If neither of the two above work, you could always check for
bugs. I use apt-listbugs. It works quick, but takes a read (and maybe
even a re-read) of its "man apt-listbugs" documentation. :)

Sometimes you can try something like "apt-listbugs list cheese". My
understanding is that's the default that focuses on the most critical
bugs. I was receiving no feedback for multiple packages (thought I was
using it wrong, grin) so that's when you try this one:

apt-listbugs list -s all cheese

Maybe something there will match what you're looking at in your case.
The "-s" flag "value" can be changed to match the various *severity*
levels, e.g. critical,  grave,  serious,  important, normal, minor,
and wishlist.

Two cool things I just learned about apt-listbugs:

* I was able to list bugs for cheese even though it's not installed. Nice perk!

* Am not quite understanding these 2 flags, but they're about the
topical topic of pinning:

      -F, --force-pin
              When in apt mode, assumes that you want to automatically pin all
              buggy packages without any prompt.  This option  is  assumed  if
              stdout  is  not a terminal, unless the -N command-line option is
              used.

       -N, --force-no-pin
              When in apt mode, never automatically pin  any  package  without
              prompt.   This  is  the default behavior, as long as stdout is a
              terminal.

A third perk just came to mind: apt-listbugs' ability to instantly
sort by severity would help an aspiring developer pick out bugs that
match their skill level.

> What is meant by 'Invalid enumeration value"?

*scratching my head (too)*

I've learned to ignore those until I fix errors I understand.
Sometimes the really out there errors disappear on their own due to
simply being fallout from the more easily understood errors. :)

Then again.. I looked at that one last time while proofreading before
sending. That's doing a opengl/GL thing there.. GNU license? Might be
about the proprietary thing I threw in as an afterthought (aka too
much information) above........? That would make sense.

One quick last search landed this (for informational purposes since it
was there and applicable):

OpenGL - The Industry Standard for High Performance Graphics
https://www.opengl.org/

Wikipedia's blurb that shows in search engines:

"Open Graphics Library (OpenGL) is a cross-language, cross-platform
application programming interface (API) for rendering 2D and 3D vector
graphics"

Again, maybe if you can fix the non-communication thing between BGR3
and MPEG, that will fix the other.... or not. :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with duct tape *