Re: Install on hp-pavilion-g6-2100 stops at 98%

On 9/4/17, Thomas Schmitt <scdbackup@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Luis Speciale wrote:
>
>> sudo cp firmware-9.1.0-amd64-netinst.iso /dev/disk1
>
> You copy to the device file, not to the mount directory. At least on
> GNU/Linux this is like "dd". On MacOS it might differ but it will not
> put the ISO as file into the FAT32 fileystem and not unpack the ISO
> into the FAT32 filesystem.
>
> I expect that now your self-made FAT32 is gone from the USB stick,
> because the partition table was overwritten by the ISO.
> Nevertheless, there is again a FAT filesystem, which contains initial EFI
> boot equipment of the ISO.

I'm understanding what you're saying, but then again I might not be
understanding. Are you saying that it looks like he copied straight to
the device instead of to a mount point? That's what I'm understanding
your words to be saying.

I regularly mount partitions to do debootstrap installs so I do
understand that method. That's how I am a-suming this should be done,
too.

All the times I've done that correctly, I have still.... wasted a
ridiculous amount of time... repeatedly... tracking down the... device
name to use when that's not what we use. *smacking my head (in
hindsight)*

That's an important point that I now wonder how often gets missed
versus caught when people are having problems installing to other
media. I know it never crosses my mind to consciously check off that
specific detail when people are writing about their problems. :)

That's also why people trying to help want to know the *exact* steps a
user took to try to do something. The person helping is not being
nosey. Seeing exact details might just help them catch a whoops such
as that device name standing in place of a mount point.

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with duct tape *