Re: USB external hard drive -- mounting

On Tue, 29 Aug 2017 13:17:31 +0200
Dominique Dumont <dod38fr@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, 28 August 2017 14:25:15 CEST James H. H. Lampert wrote:
> > Can anybody advise me on how to set this thing up so that if it's
> > plugged in, it will mount, to a consistent mountpoint, whether anybody's
> > signed on to Gnome or not? And when it's inevitably replaced, its
> > replacement will continue to do so?
>
> I wrote this blog a while ago for this kind of problem:
> https://ddumont.wordpress.com/2016/04/24/automount-usb-devices-with-systemd/

Thanks for this. Following your post, I added a line like this to
fstab:

/dev/mapper/mydrive	/media/mydrive	ext4	defaults,user,nofail	0       0

It seems to work fine for automounting, but the problem is that it
adds 90 seconds to the boot when the external drive is not present. The
'nofail' option allows the boot to eventually continue, but it only
does so after a 90 second timeout is reached.

The Arch wiki suggests adding "x-systemd.device-timeout=1" to solve
this, but it seems like a bit of a kludge, and it will still add 1
second for each external drive that has an entry in fstab - not an
ideal solution.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/fstab#External_devices

Celejar