Re: Recommended editor for novice programmers?

On Saturday 02 September 2017 15:03:23 Mario Castelán Castro wrote:

> > My Linux user group is setting up one desktop computer and one
> > laptop computer for lending to our local library as an educational
> > resource for folks who want to explore what Linux is all about.  We
> > are using Debian 9 for now.
>
> The first think is to realize that Linux is a kernel, not an operating
> system. A more appropriate name for the OS is GNU/Linux. Moreover,
> that is the name Debian uses for its GNU/Linux versions (it also has
> other kernels available).
>
> >I am open to any suggestions for standard packages we should add. I
> > have
>
> already installed gcc and friends as well as Scilab, R, Perl 6, and
> some other stuff, including emacs.
>
> Useful suggestions can not be given in this regard because it dpeneds
> on what the users are going to do with the computer.
>
> Just leaving a computer with GNU/Linux is not a good idea to teach
> people about GNU/Linux. You should have a person there to show them
> the system and talk about free software.
>
> On 02/09/17 13:34, Dejan Jocic wrote:
> > You can set up both Vim and Emacs as powerful programming editors.
>
> These are the *worst* possible suggestions. Both of these editors
> require a lot of learning to even use them at all. If the OP follows
> your advice, his users will have the impression that all software in
> GNU/Linux is as arcane and difficult to use as GNU Emacs and Vim are.

Agreed.  Bad Karma to most folks.

Along that line of "intro" software, I'd suggest geany (never ever gedit,
its file saving is /not/ stable) as a text editor, timidity for midi
music creation or playing, rosegarden and lilypond for creating/printing
music in sheet notation.  And, given hard drive space enough available
to handle movies, if their movie camera can be controlled by it, by all
means kino. But I'd recommend the kino users to bring their own mass
storage since a 20 minute wedding can, depending on the camera, use well
over 30GB of your hard drive space.  There is also blender for movies
but its learning curve is steeper than kino's.  And AFAIK, it doesn't
control the camera.

My 2 cents.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)