Re: Btrs vs ext4. Which one is more reliable?

On Fri 11 Aug 2017 at 19:13:47 (+0200), Christian Seiler wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> On 08/11/2017 06:29 PM, Dejan Jocic wrote:
> > On 11-08-17, Christian Seiler wrote:
> >> You can also set DefaultTimeoutStopSec= in /etc/systemd/system.conf
> >> to alter the default for all units (though individual settings for
> >> units will still override that).

That works great. I've set   DefaultTimeoutStopSec=27s

> > Thank you for suggestion. I did find that solution, some time ago, can't
> > remember exactly where. But it was followed by warning that it is bad
> > idea, can't remember exactly why. Do you have any hint of why it could
> > be bad idea to limit timeout, or I've just misunderstood whatever I've
> > read about it?
>
> Well, there's a reason the default is 90s. And for some services even
> that might be too short. Take for example a database server where the
> regular stop script might take 10 minutes to shut down properly (when
> no error occurs).

The problem only embarrasses me on laptops, eg leaving the house,
boarding an aircraft, etc. Nothing important is running (I've already
killed X and touched the power button) and the only alternative is
forcing it off with the prolonged power button.

It's worked well for a fortnight now.

> The right timeout is always a balancing act - and systemd's default
> is a compromise to provide something that won't break most use cases
> but still cause the system to shut down after a finite time.

There are some timeouts that are set to "no limit" but I haven't hit
one of those for nearly a year. It's incomprehensible to me why
"RPC portmapper replacement" needs to be shut down cleanly however
long it takes. Likewise the "Color Profiles" manager which, while
having a 90 second timeout to start with, would increment the timeout
by another 90 seconds each time it expired, so it was effectively
infinite.

Cheers,
David.