Re: mailutils in stretch

On 2017-07-07 05:19 -0500, Dave Sherohman wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 07, 2017 at 09:41:33AM +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
>> On 2017-07-07 02:06 -0500, Dave Sherohman wrote:
>> > What was the reason for omitting mailutils (and, specifically, a
>> > functional /usr/bin/mail binary) from the default strech install?
>>
>> For the record, mailutils have never been part of a default install, but
>> bsd-mailx (which also provides /usr/bin/mail) was until Jessie.
>
> I stand corrected.  bsd-mailx does sound more familiar, now that you
> mention it, but mailutils was the (first) `mail`-providing package I
> found when I started looking with `apt-cache search`.
>
>> > That's kind of a standard thing to be there on *nix systems...
>>
>> For better or worse, a default Debian installation seems to not omit
>> various programs that have been standard on Unix systems.

Argh, I am sorry.  I meant to say just the opposite by leaving out the
extra "not", In fact, various packages have been demoted from Priority
standard or important to optional in recent years.  This includes the
venerable "ed" text editor for instance, and also any package providing
/usr/bin/mail.  Apparently the reason is that they pull in an MTA which
is also no longer included by default.  Which seems sensible to me BTW.

> The reports in question weren't from packaged reporting tools, but
> rather from random command-line programs being run with a command of the
> form `some-program 2&>1 | mail dave -s "some-program results"`.  Is
> there a more "modern"/preferred way of doing this sort of thing, which
> will work in a default stretch install (and doesn't require adding
> headers to the program output to make it suitable for piping directly to
> /usr/sbin/sendmail)?

No, just install bsd-mailx or mailutils.

Cheers,
       Sven