Re: mplayer won't play audio CD

Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> writes:

>> > How about
>> >
>> >   vlc cdda:// ?
>>
>> Yes, vlc works!
>
> Not quite what you wanted but you can now play an audio CD.

Recently I noticed that mplayer, when playing audio CDs, is always complaining
this way:

 `Audio device got stuck!'

, and sound continuosly `jumps' so becoming unheardable, and I thought it was
the device's hardware fault.  But vlc plays well with no at all that problem.
I wonder about that...  mplayer is very potent and comfortable, that's why I
use it...

> We suppose the CD ROM shows activity (a blinking light) with
> 'mplayer cdda://' even though there is no sound output.

I had settled the alias: `mplayer = mplayer -demuxer lavf'.  After removing it,
now mplayer works regularly over CDs (apart from the above problem) as a normal
user.  Instead, as root, the problem I started this thread with remains:
mplayer doesn't work...  Not so great a problem, after all.  But isn't it
strange that something user can do root can't...?

> How do you go on with
>
>   'mplayer -ao alsa cdda://'?

This doesn't help.  But, I repeat, mplayer now works and read audio CDs from
normal user.  Only, it continuosly `jumps' and gets stuck.  (I will open a new
thread about that.)

Rodolfo