Re: Compiler segfault when building the kernel

On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 09:37:39 -0400
kamaraju kusumanchi <raju.mailinglists@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 7:58 AM, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Any ideas? Is this a bug I should be filing against kernel-package (or
> > anywhere else)?
>
> Two things
>
> 1) Does the problem go away if you upgrade to the latest compiler?
> Based on the error message, I believe you are using gcc 4.9? But it is
> not clear to me what the exact version of the compiler is and the
> debian distribution you are using.

Debian stable, with a bunch of stuff from backports, and some from
unstable. From gcc -v:

gcc version 4.9.2 (Debian 4.9.2-10)

> 2) The very fact the the compiler is failing with an "internal"
> compiler error indicates that it is a bug in the compiler. I would
> report it against the compiler package. But before you report, try to
> reproduce the problem with as smaller test case as possible. If you
> just say, my kernel compilation is failing with "internal compiler
> error" it will be very difficult to reproduce by others and will take
> longer for it to be fixed.

Thank you. The reason that I thought that it might not be a compiler
bug is because of the claim here that it can also be caused by a build
system that isn't designed to be run concurrently:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/343490/the-bug-is-not-reproducible-so-it-is-likely-a-hardware-or-os-problem

So I'll have to decide whether to report against kernel-package, gcc,
or not at all.

Celejar