Re: Reply-to-all or reply-to-list again

On 2017-06-09 at 11:57, Nicolas George wrote:

> Le primidi 21 prairial, an CCXXV, The Wanderer a écrit :
>
>> Disagreed. This results in sending extra copies to people who are
>> subscribed to the list, which is incorrect.
>
> Not if the list is properly configured.

What configuration would avoid this result, when using "Reply to All"?

When using "Reply", a mailing-list configuration which sets Reply-To to
point back to the list (presumably in addition to any Reply-To set by
the user, or only when the user did not set such) would avoid that
result, but I've seen arguments presented in the past that it also
results in undesirable results of other types in some cases; although I
didn't retain those arguments in full, I was also not able to come up
with effective counterarguments at the time.

When using "Reply to All", at least with some mail clients, Reply-To
will be ignored - and in fact, I think I might argue that any mail
client which does not ignore Reply-To in the case of "Reply to All" is
broken, since that is failing to do what the user explicitly requested.

Even if using a mail client which does treat Reply-To as overriding
"Reply to All", that just means that the user is required to keep track
of which mailing lists set Reply-To (and use "Reply to All" in those
cases), which don't (and use some other reply method in those cases),
and also which specific messages on some lists have changed the Reply-To
configuration (and then have to decide whether to override that
manually, including potentially copying some or all of the addresses
from the original mail by hand since the mail client won't do it for you).

*Maybe* that's better than any of the known alternatives as a practical,
real-world matter, but it hardly seems anything remotely close to ideal,
in my view.

> Debian's lists are badly configured, it results in burden to all users,
> but the users should reject that burden. I do.

And your chosen method of avoiding this burden seems to result both in
burden to you (in the form of having to modify message headers every
time you compose a reply) and in burden to others (in this case, in the
form of me receiving two copies of your reply, rather than only the copy
sent through the mailing list).

I'm not sure I'd agree that that's better.

--
   The Wanderer