Encoding problems with latin accented characters in vfat partition

Hi.

I finally got to mount and share an USB drive plugged into my ADSL router (see
thread `Accessing USB storage attached to network router' on this list).  The
only problem now is about latin accented characters such as bontà, perché,
ragù, ecc...  In my home directory I have many files such named, but when I
want to copy them into the above vfat driver there are encoding problems: those
characters are messing and `Bad file decriptor' error messages sometimes
appear.  I've never had this problem before, in my Linux home directory.
Please suggest whoever can how to face and solve the problem.

Thanks,

Rodolfo