Re: pointers to material for using netbook's wireless as access point

On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 5:03 PM, didier gaumet <didier.gaumet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Le 08/06/2017 à 02:29, Joel Rees a écrit :
>
> [...]
>> # Setup bridge
>> iface br0 inet manual
>>     bridge_ports wlan0 eth0:0
> [...]
>
> I am sorry, network wise, I am a true dumb, so I cannot be of a great
> help, but:
>
> - the Archlinux wiki indicates that the wireless interface should not be
> added to the bridge in the bridge configuration, being already attached
> to it in the hostapd configuration.
> - you could look at the ethernet-wireless bridge section of the Debian
> wiki wich points at routing differences with ethernet bridges:
>  https://wiki.debian.org/BridgeNetworkConnections#Bridging_with_a_wireless_NIC

Maybe I'm misunderstanding that wiki, but it seems to be describing this
kind of setup:

   WAN <--> foreign AP <-wireless-> debian box <-> more devices

But what I'm wanting is

   WAN <-wired-> router/modem <-wired-> debian netbook AP <-> more devices

(But thanks for taking the time to mention that page.)

--
Joel Rees

One of these days I'll get someone to pay me
to design a language that combines the best of Forth and C.
Then I'll be able to leap wide instruction sets with a single #ifdef,
run faster than a speeding infinite loop with a #define,
and stop all integer size bugs with a bare cast.

More of my delusions:
http://reiisi.blogspot.com/2017/05/do-not-pay-modern-danegeld-ransomware.html
http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/p/novels-i-am-writing.html