Re: Upcoming transition to Stretch

On Friday 02 June 2017 10:11:40 Michael Milliman wrote:

> On 06/02/2017 08:52 AM, Fungi4All wrote:
> > A sneaky way to have fun and be safe, not a very responsible user
> > for testing and experimenting, but if you are so afraid of tgings
> > blowing up and not knowing how to fix them here is a trick.
>
> I really enjoy troubleshooting problems, and am not afraid to do so.
> Unfortunately, I simply do not have the time to do this on a regular
> basis.  I always learn a great deal when I do, and that is one of my
> favorite things do do :) .  I have always gotten very good information
> here on the list when I have had to troubleshoot.
>
> > Let's say once a day, at the time you turn on your pc, you usually
> > do updates and upgrades.  What if you reverse the order of things.
> > You read your list email, be forwarned of past 24hrs of trouble,
> > then do and upgrade, then do an update which will not be in effect
> > until you apply it the next day.  The next day the cycle continues.
>
> This is an excellent idea.  I already look through the proposed
> upgrades and pick and choose what I allow on a package by package
> basis, so I'm already implementing the most time consuming part of
> this process.  I also look pretty closely at what a particular package
> upgrade brings with it (i.e. libraries that may have an affect on the
> system as a whole) before I bring an upgrade in.  That way I can
> manage the risks involved.  I'm not bork-proof, but I haven't borked
> the system yet.
>
> > For me, I get really sad when there is nothing new to upgrade now,
> > even if I am the first to face the trouble.  But there is also a
> > backup system which is not yet updated, so work can still be done.
> >
> > Sid is real debian to me, the rest is just debian too refined to be
> > debian.
> >
> > On the other hand, resolv.conf is a package in even Jessie that
> > needs "manual" configuration to work.  Despite what you do it is
> > still linux in its finest.  No  matter what you do each day you may
> > never know what will you learn or have to learn to get things done
> > by the next morning.  Sleep is for windows morons.

Warning thread hijack...

My machines are all still on either wheezy or jessie because of kernel
pinning, its a realtime rtai patched kernel and my app, linuxcnc won't
run without it.

My home network is host based and all behind a dd-wrt based router.  So
rather than fixing resolv.conf by making it immutable in my latest pi
install, since I had the u-sd card still in the reader, I went thru it
looking for anything that might want to scribble my resolv.conf into a
one liner stating it was created by such and such and otherwise empty, I
removed the exec bits from the those files attributes.  Then I fixed
resolv.conf to do what its supposed to do.  Neither fix generates any
error messages to spam my logs.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)