Re: Upcoming transition to Stretch

On Fri, Jun 02, 2017 at 12:35:12PM +0200, Siard wrote:
> Michael Milliman:
> > As I understand it, Stretch will become stable in a couple of weeks.
> > At that time what is now Sid (unstable) will become Testing. Is this
> > correct?
>
> No, that is not correct. :-)  Testing will be unaffected.
> Depending on how you configure /etc/apt/sources.list, you can either
> have Testing continue as Stable, or the new Testing.

To expand on this:

Debian developers upload the new versions of their packages into unstable.
During normal times, when there is NOT a freeze in effect, packages
which meet certain criteria (no release-critical bugs, all dependencies
satisfied, etc.) will be copied automatically from unstable into testing.

That process is not taking place now, because of the freeze.

It is not accurate to say that unstable "becomes" testing.  It's more
like closing/opening a dam to prevent a river from flowing.

Furthermore, there is a "slushy" effect which is preventing developers
from uploading (most) new packages into unstable.  Doing so would
distract from the efforts to clean up stretch for release.  In essence,
unstable is also mostly-frozen right now.  (Nothing is 100% absolute,
because these are developers we're talking about.  They're like cats.)

After the stretch release, there is going to be a tremendous influx of new
packages in unstable, as developers want to play with all their new toys.
The unstable->testing dam will also be opened, so after a couple days,
when packages become eligible for copying, they'll start to appear in
testing too.  Anyone who is tracking unstable or testing at this time
should prepare for Extra Fun.