Re: RTL8812/8821 network cards

Hi,

On Thu, 1 Jun 2017 19:34:20 -0500
Michael Milliman <michael.e.milliman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Have you tried the package firmware-realtek??  I'm not absolutely
> positive that the drivers available in this package will work with your
> specific 8812/8821 chipset (there are more than one), but it does have
> drivers for some 8812/8821 chipsets that may work.

from a quick glance at the page the OP has linked I doubt that any of the
drivers that are currently included in the linux kernel will work with
this chipset if you just add some firmware file(s), I guess this is the
reason why the developers bothered to write that driver ;)

I have here a similar problem with a realtek8723bs chipset, the 8723ae
and 8723be drivers are no good for that one.

>From what the project page suggests, building and installing the 8821au
driver seems to be easy enough (no patches and no additional firmware
files required) so I think it should be possible to build a debian
package which could be added to a custom debian iso.

>From what the OP writes however I am not sure if they meant to include the
driver in the official debian distro instead. This would surely require
the driver to be added to the official kernel first. Even if this happens
there is no guarantee that debian will include it in their kernel
packages (as is currently the case with the rtl8723bs driver which
finally made it into the kernel but is not included in debian's 4.11
kernel package).

Regards

Michael

> On 06/01/2017 05:49 PM, Jessica Litwin wrote:
> >

> > On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 6:31 PM, Wei-Shun Lo <raliclo@gmail.com
> > <mailto:raliclo@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     Dear Debian,
> >
> >     Is it possible to include below driver in the kernel for network
> >     installation?
> >     Many cards are using this driver.
> >
> >     https://github.com/abperiasamy/rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux
> >     <https://github.com/abperiasamy/rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux>
> >
> >     Best regards,
> >     Ralic
> >     --
> >     *____**____**____**____**____**____**____**____**____**____**____**____**____**____**____**____**____**____*
> >     * _Contact Info_
> > ** *
> >      *US Mobile: 1-408-609-7628 <tel:(408)%
> > 20609-7628>                   *
> >     Em
> >     ail: raliclo@gmail.com
> > <mailto:raliclo@gmail.com> Line/ Skype :
> > ralic_lo
> > *____**____**____**____**____**____**____**____**____**____**____**____**____**____**____**____**____**____*
> > *
> >
> >     *
> >

> > In the past I have made my own ISOs and included the contents of
> > linux-firmware. Perhaps this may be something you can do also?
> >
> > // jkl
>
> --
> 73's,
> WB5VQX -- The Very Quick X-ray

Uncontrolled power will turn even saints into savages.  And we can all
be counted on to live down to our lowest impulses.
		-- Parmen, "Plato's Stepchildren", stardate 5784.3