Re: Some help with dd backing up into an iso

Hi,

GiaThnYgeia wrote:
> drwx------ 2 root root 16384 Mar 10 03:21 /media/user/sid/lost+found

If you were not superuser or ran xorriso under sudo, then the ownership
and permissions are a valid reason for being unable to read its content.

I do not generally advise to make backups as superuser. But since the
mounted USB stick probably contains files of many users with various
permission sets i now propose to become superuser or run xorriso under
control of program sudo:

   sudo xorriso \
   -for_backup \
   -outdev usb_part1.iso \
   -map /media/user/sid /

Greg Wooledge wrote:
> It indicates the presence of an ACL (file access control list),

Well, it's the boss directory which we do not want to backup.
Nevertheless, Debian's build of xorriso run with settimg -for_backup
will record ACLs and Extended Attributes. Linux mount will not show them,
but xorriso will be able to restore them.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas