Disabling automount, and mounting/ unmounting the "old way"

On 03/11/2017 11:59 PM, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
I am very happy that i disabled automounting on my system. Life becomes
so clear and straightforward if one does it the old way.

I use Jesse and Xfce:

2017-03-12 12:42:20 dpchrist@jesse ~
$ cat /etc/debian_version; uname -a
8.7
Linux jesse 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.39-1+deb8u2 (2017-03-07) x86_64 GNU/Linux
2017-03-12 12:47:05 dpchrist@jesse ~

$ dpkg-query --list xfce4
||/ Name           Version      Architecture Description
ii xfce4 4.10.1 all Meta-package for the Xfce Lightwe

I believe Xfce came with automounting disabled OOTB. I can adjust it via Application Menu -> File Manager -> (Thunar) Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Volume Management -> Configure -> (Removable Drives and Media) Storage -> Removable Storage -> Mount removable drives when hot-plugged and Mount removable media when inserted.

When I insert a USB drive or optical disk, an icon appears on the desktop and in the side (left) pane of Thunar. Right-clicking either provides a pop-up menu with a "mount" option. Once mounted, right-clicking either provides a pop-up menu with "unmount" and/or "eject" options.

I typically use dmesg(1) with USB drives to determine which device file (/dev/*) to use with mount(8). But for optical discs, dmesg(1) doesn't provide any clues.

lsblk(8) lists connected USB drives, unmounted or mounted, and lists the optical drive (sr0), empty, unmounted, or mounted. The SIZE, TYPE, and/or MOUNTPOINT fields appear to when a file system is mounted. When a USB device is removed, lsblk(8) no longer lists it. But when an optical disc is ejected, lsblk(8) continues to display the unmounted information.

blkid(8) against a device file seems to provide information that does not change with mounting or unmounting.

Could you please describe how you mount/unmount devices and file systems "the old way"?

David