Re: Sound Problem

"Stephen P. Molnar" <s.molnar@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> On 03/11/2017 05:36 PM, Dominic Knight wrote:
>> On Sat, 2017-03-11 at 09:39 -0500, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
>>> Up to date Jessie.
>>>
>>> Sound worked until I turned power off to the external speakers.  The
>>> sound has not been working since I turned the speakers back on.
>>>
>>> If I run 'speaker-test' I get noise, but if I run 'speaker-test -c 2
>>> -t
>>> wav' I get 'front left' and 'front right' from the speakers.
>>>
>>> I am using the on-board sound:
>>>
>>> 01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GF119 HDMI Audio Controller
>>> (rev a1)
>>> 	Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] Device 809f
>>> 	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 25
>>> 	Memory at fe080000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
>>> 	Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 3
>>> 	Capabilities: [68] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
>>> 	Capabilities: [78] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
>>> 	Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
>>>
>>> I have proven, to my satisfaction, thanks to a suggestion from a
>>> correspondent, that this is not a hardware problem.  I loaded the
>>> Xubuntu 17.04 Live Desktop on the computer and the sound is live.
>>>
>>> I would appreciate some help in solving this problem.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>

>> As you most likely have two sound cards, one on-board and one with the
>> video card (HDMI) it may be worthwhile installing pasystray as this may
>> give you better control over which card you want to use, lots of
>> options to reset sink, add modules etc. It helped me solve sound issues
>> in the past when switching between on-board headphones and HDMI to the
>> TV so worth a try at least.
>>

> Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> Here's what happens:
>
> comp@AbNormal:~$ /usr/bin/pasystray
> ** Message: volume:53085
>
> Then nothing.

To get my sound working after a reboot I have to 'sudo alsactl init'.
And then I load alsamixer, choose my soundcard and turn all bars up to
100%.

Maybe this would help solve your problem?

Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
DrugFacts = http://www.drugfacts.org.uk
Debian 8.6, fluxbox 1.3.5-2, emacs 25.1.1.1