Re: Some help with dd backing up into an iso

Hi,

David Wright wrote:
> Forgive me for asking, but have you read the OP?

Yep. It's a daredevil situation. "Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead"

> I can't see
> the sense of backing up a filesystem to an image file and then, for
> the sake of it, using the image file to overwrite the original filesystem.

If all went well, then nothing changed on the filesystem.

But yes, kids don't do this at home ... unless you have a good reason.

> What would constitute a pass, and what would distinguish a fail?

The experimental setup seems sub-optimal for now.
Maybe one should make a list of file MD5s before the experiment for
comparing with the MD5s of the files afterwards.

> There was no indication that the stick had been used for something
> else in the interim.

That would be my valid use case, by which i tried to demonstrate that a
block-by-block copy can be a suitable backup format under certain
circumstances.

> Yes, yes, this is back to the technical details of making copies.

But we are on computers. Technical details matter.

> > UPS
> ...which cost EUR...?

"There is no such thing as a free lunch"

Have a nice day :)

Thomas