Re: Issues with KDE from Debian Stretch [was: Upgrading Jessie to Stretch]

Hi, Sven.

On 04/03/17 19:16, Sven Joachim wrote:

>> Given that Stretch is in the final freeze phase, I thought it was a good
>> idea to upgrade my desktop computer from Jessie to Stretch to start
>> getting used to using it.
>>
>> After updating to the latest version of stable and changing "jessie" to
>> "stretch" in sources.list, I started with the usual procedure: updating
>> APT and other utilities, to have available the improvements that have
>> been introduced.

> I'm not sure if this has actually been recommended for the last few
> releases, and for Stretch it is almost certainly a bad idea.

According to what I have documented in my Dokuwiki, it was that way used
for me to start the process of upgrading from Squeeze to Wheezy, and
from Wheezy to Jessie:

# aptitude update && aptitude dist-upgrade -V

(change "jessie" to "stretch" on /etc/apt/source.list)

# apt-get update
# apt-get install apt dpkg aptitude -V

(...)

And I had no problems on those occasions. But perhaps it is not
applicable this time.

>> # apt-get install apt dpkg aptitude -V
>>
>> But this seems to cause some VLC dependencies to break:

>> Reading package lists... Done
>> Building dependency tree
>> Reading state information... Done
>> Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
>> requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
>> distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
>> or been moved out of Incoming.
>> The following information may help to resolve the situation:
>>
>> The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>>  libvlccore8 : Breaks: vlc (< 2.2.4-7~) but 2.2.4-1~deb8u1 is to be
>> installed
>>                Breaks: vlc-nox (< 2.2.4-7~) but 2.2.4-1~deb8u1 is to be
>> installed
>> E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be
>> caused by held packages.
>>
>> Did this happen to anyone else?

> Probably yes, because of the libstdc++6 transition[1,2] that required
> changing the package name of many C++ libraries and an unusually high
> amount of Breaks.
>
> Your best bet is probably to just try "apt-get dist-upgrade" and if that
> does not work, file a bug against the upgrade-reports pseudopackage.
>
> Good luck,
> Sven
>

> 1. https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2015/07/msg00000.html
> 2. https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2015/08/msg00002.html

Thanks for the references. Thanks also, Lisi, for your interest.

I've tried a different approach, starting with a minimal upgrade using
"apt-get upgrade -V", and then upgrading the kernel and udev. Finally a
complete upgrade with "apt-get dist-upgrade -V". On that way I can
upgrade without problems.

Now I have some issues with KDE. I'm not sure if it have to do with the
video driver, but when I open an application or interact with KDE, the
image starts shaking and some areas turn black. Below a screenshot.

https://ibin.co/3ETGMDNvhA2G.png
https://ibin.co/3ETGUxOa9reG.png

Thank you in advance for your help.

Kind regards,