Re: how to override a conffile (not using dpkg-divert)?

On Tue, 07 Feb 2017, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ap-pkg-diversions.html says
>
> "Do not attempt to divert a conffile, as dpkg does not handle it well."
>
> So I wonder what would you suggest to override a conffile (e.g.
> /etc/ssh/sshd_conf and /etc/ssh/ssh_conf) from another package
> depending upon the "conffile owner"?

If this is a private package which you are using to enforce your local
configuration, just change the conffile in your postinst [possibly after
checking that the conffile hasn't been modified.]

If this is a package which you are planning on having anyone else use,
then you basically shouldn't be touching /etc/ssh/ssh_config or
/etc/ssh/sshd_config, because you're likely to break things horribly.

--
Don Armstrong                      https://www.donarmstrong.com

Overcast nights are beautiful; the sun, mostly set, a near full moon
partially risen, light pollution from the city, and the sky delicately
purpleorangegray, as if it were a livid bruise.