Re: Tool to crypt a password

L'octidi 18 pluviôse, an CCXXV, Greg Wooledge a écrit :
> I wrote this many years ago.  It's primitive, but may suit:
>
> http://wooledge.org/~greg/crypt/

Indeed. Unfortunately, it suffers from a limitation similar to the one
of htpasswd: it only supports 3DES, the oldest and weakest hashing
algorithm.

Well, I see it can accept an explicit salt, forcing the use of any
supported algorithm. But that requires something else to generate the
salt, which is the most annoying part to implement, because if you
already have a salt, perl -e 'print crypt("pass", "\$6\$salt\$"), "\n"'
does the trick.

I guess many people have implemented a rudimentary variant of that kind
of tool (mine is ~30 lines of perl) but nobody went the last kilometer.

> Oh....  Um.  No?  Or, you could package it yourself?  I guess that's not
> what you actually meant though.  I guess you meant "something that can
> be installed on someone else's computer without freaking them out".

Exactly. In fact, I cannot understand why it is not already present in
util-linux or coreutils.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George