Re: [(fwd): Debian/Stretch - network-manager_1.4.4-1 and libbluetooth3_5.43-1]

On 2/4/17, Ennio-Sr <nasr.laili@tin.it> wrote:
> Hi all!
> I'm forwarding to the list this message which didn't reach the original
> destination. I would have to get through bugzilla to report a bug, bat
> this is not a bug. Although, I think it might help some onlookers...

Was your email signature attached to wherever this didn't arrive? I
just... I found this in my sp am bucket so maybe that's why it never
arrived where you sent. Maybe the signature is triggering something? I
find people in there all the time, and I can never tell what would
have sent them there. They're just there..... and I pull them out and
put them back in my inbox... :)

You said that you found what you needed in /var/cache/apt/archives?
The impression I got was that this is where deletions were going to be
made. Is it that you happened to have an older archive dotDeb that is
being left alone because it's pre this deletion thing?

Where are you seeing packages deleted from? I'm THRILLED you're
instead having to go to /var/cache/apt/archives because that means
maybe my horde of dotDebs is still safe from some default. Then again,
I got back to my first paragraph where maybe you got lucky because you
had an old archived compressed file that is "grandfathered in" and
won't be touched by this default deletion thing? *ouch, grin*

> Of course, the deletion of network-manager is announced when you remove
> libbluetooth3 but I think it should be stressed by a stronger axplicit
> warning,
> also considering that while removing bluetooth one would not expect that
> network-manager will vanish altogether and could not notice the weak
> 'Remv network-manager ...' amon others.
>
> Thank you for the nice result of your work.

This SOUNDS LIKE this is about something that caught my eye during an
upgrade. Something started providing extensive messages during
upgrades. I THINK the messages are k/t the package, apt-listchanges.
"dpkg -s apt-listchanges" has this description with "changelog" and
"NEWS" being the pertinent keywords:

++++++++
 The tool apt-listchanges can compare a new version of a
 package with the one currently installed and show what has been
 changed, by extracting the relevant entries from the Debian changelog
 and NEWS files.
++++++++

Whatever is providing those messages, this topic about default
deletions was one of those informative messages I now see these days.

One of those messages recently made it sound like *something* was
going to start being deleted by default upon upgrades or installs or
something like that. That's what caught my attention. The only thing I
could think that meant was the .deb archive files. Maybe that was even
stated is why I thought that?

Upon reading that something IMPORTANT was going to start being quietly
deleted as a default, my reaction was something along the lines of...

An itty-bitty tiny little freakout for a second.

And pretty much for the kind of reason it sounds like you're saying here.

The more I think back on it, I specifically monitored dotDeb archive
file deletions for a few days after that message appeared, but I never
saw anything change.

Just for myself in my Shoes and therefore anyone else even close to
it, immediately being cut off completely from anything is EXACTLY what
first came to mind upon reading that message I saw. People in my Shoes
don't have the luxury of just hopping into the car any ol' time of day
or night and running down to the library or wherever to gain Internet
access long enough to replenish whatever was zapped by any not well
known default setting.

Yeah, /var/cache/apt/archives is exactly where I thought things were
going to start being deleted. In my case, that's a humongous directory
specifically k/t the fear of being cut off if I don't have the right
backup package to fix accidental breakage and/or deletions. I just
(manually) thinned that directory out a little, i.e. several thousand
files, but it would still be embarrassing to brandish publicly after
its recent diet. *grin*

Just thinking out loud. I really don't have any other feedback...
except maybe...

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey