Re: Set resolution options without xrandr

Tony Baldwin composed on 2017-02-04 21:55 (UTC-0500):

In the past, of course I'd have dug up /etc/X11/xorg.conf with vi, and
edited it, but there is no such file on this system (Jessie).

/etc/X11/xorg.conf became an optional file many releases ago. It usually can be created and used to override problems with automagic configuration like you appear to be having.

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ can also be used for the same purposes. Anything in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ that conflicts with anything in /etc/X11/xorg.conf will override to the extent of conflict.

I've been trying to use xrandr, but I'm clearly missing something that
the instructions I'm finding on superuser isn't giving me.
(http://superuser.com/questions/716795/how-to-adjust-the-screen-resolution-in-debian
)

That particular URI is trying to use a sledge hammer to drive a brad. Only rarely are CVT or GTF heroics necessary with modern versions of Xorg and its video drivers. I cannot recall ever in the past decade needing CVT or GTF to calculate and configure a modeline. Xorg knows how to and does do that automatically based on EDID, or if the display has defective EDID, any overriding HorizSync and VertRefresh specifications along with PreferredMode configured section Monitor in /etc/X11/xorg.conf* for Xorg to calculate them automatically.

The worst thing is that it WAS on the proper resolution, then I had a
PSU go south, so powered everything (including the monitor) down, while
I went out to acquire a new PSU, and, upon rebooting after installing

It's entirely possible creating a mode with xrandr could override some sort of filesystem corruption that resulted from the powerdown. Have you tried forcing fsck on the / filesystem since the power failure was cured?

said new PSU, my screen res has gone from a beautiful 1680 x1050 to
1280x768 of some such crap, and looks awful, in my opinion.
I didn't do anything to mess with it, so have no idea why it changed.,
and now the actual default for the monitor ( the 1680 x 1050 ) appears
unavailable to xrandr

Something must have become corrupted to cause what is happening to you. Jessie should automatically use 1680x1050 on a display whose native resolution is 1680x1050.

I currently have host big31 connected to a native 1680x1050 LCD booted to Jessie with no xrandr commands configured and no /etc/X11/xorg.conf* configured to affect display output, and its running TDE @1680x1050.

What follows are things you can try that should work, once you've examined /var/log/Xorg.0.log to determine:

	A-which driver is in use
	B-which video device is connected to your display

If you cannot determine these on your own by examining Xorg.0.log, post it to http://paste.debian.net/ so someone here can. Also post output from 'lspci -nnk | grep -A6 VGA', and/or 'inxi -c0 -v6 | head -n20'. Include output of 'cat /proc/cmdline' in your reply.

The video driver in use should not be FBDEV(0) or VESA(0). Neither support any widescreen modes. What you want to see are lots of lines containing intel(0), nouveau(0) or radeon(0), according to which gfxchip you have, or modeset(0) or modesetting(0) without regard to which gfxchip you have. Something you can try if your gfxchip is neither ancient nor newer than Jessie is forcing use of the modesetting driver by ensuring xserver-xorg-video-modesetting is installed, and purging the xserver-xorg-video-[ati,intel,nouveau] driver matching your gfxchip.

To configure your display manually:

1-create a script in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/ containing the xrandr command you wish applied when X starts. http://fm.no-ip.com/Share/setup contains a long list of xrandr commands that have worked for me with various hardware at various times; or

2-create /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
http://fm.no-ip.com/Share/Linux/xorg.conf-1680x1050x108-mini can be used as a starting skeleton. Comment or remove the DisplaySize line if you don't wish DPI forced to 108. If your gfxcard has multiple outputs, xorg.conf may require an uncommented line in the device section similar one of those contained in:
http://fm.no-ip.com/Share/Linux/50-device.conf , e.g.:
	Option	"monitor-VGA-0"	"DefaultMonitor"
You shouldn't need to specify the driver to use, but if 1680x1050 continues to fail to result you can try putting one in the device section, e.g.:
	'Driver "nouveau"'.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/