Re: Debian 9.3 GUI installation failure

On Sun 31 Dec 2017 at 10:10:31 (+0000), w f wrote:
> I tried installing Debian 9.3 today. I used the netinst CD amd64
> version.All was going well until about 4/5ths of the way through ...I
> suddenly got an error message about "ispell" and that something
> "british" couldn't be installed.(I chose "US" throughout the whole
> process; I'm not sure why it's installing something "british.")I'm
> sorry I don't have more details. There's no way for me to capture the
> screen or the text.

When the error occurs, switch to VC4 (Ctrl-Alt-F4, or some other shift
key combination depending on the keyboard) and see what appears there.
If the error message is off the top of the screen, you can switch to
VC2 (possibly with Alt-Left twice), press Return for a shell, and look
at the /var/log/syslog file with whatever's available (less, more,
I don't remember; cat and then Shift-PageUp might work too).

> After the notice, it gave me the option to return to "install
> packages ..." to fix the problem.However, when I click "Continue"
> and go back to "Select and Install Software," all it does is repeat
> the notice that "An installation step failed ..."I cannot continue
> the install process. The next step is bootloader installation.The
> system is not bootable; I have to restart from scratch.Is this a
> bug? DId I do something wrong? What can I do to avoid this problem
> before investing another 2 hours?- Liam

If you're repeating an installation (so there's no need for thinking
about the responses), I don't see what takes two hours of your time.
Bear in mind that any partitioning is already done, so you only need
to select the filesystems; creating these is generally fast. (In the
past, with 486s, I have tried selecting Keep, and then manually removing
all the files (not lost+found) after that step, using the VC2 shell.
But I don't remember if I actually saved any time.)

Cheers,
David.