Re: Experiences with BTRFS -- is it mature enough for enterprise use?

On 27 Dec 2017 6:45 am, "Rick Thomas" <rbthomas@pobox.com> wrote:

Is btrfs mature enough to use in enterprise applications?

If you are using it, I’d like to hear from you about your experiences — good or bad.

My proposed application is for a small community radio station music library.
We currently have about 5TB of data in a RAID10 using four 3TB drives, with ext4 over the RAID.  So we’re about 75% full, growing at the rate of about 1TB/year, so we’ll run out of space by the end of 2018.

I’m proposing to go to three 6TB drives in a btrfs/RAID5 configuration.  This would give us 12TB of usable data space and hold off til the end of 2024 before needing the next upgrade.

Will it work?  Would I be safer with ext4 over RAID5?

Thanks in advance!
Rick

For production I would stick with RAID10 over RAID5 and XFS over ext4 since its made for large files which suits your media storage user case. It also provides for file system backups and restore via xfsdump/xfsrestore and I also find xfs_freeze useful for consitent backup in case of secondary db backup lets say. Basically it has everything that ext4 has and some more.

As others have mentioned you should consider ZFS too its been stable for the past year on linux and the features like compression, dedup, snapshots, various types of storage pools and even builtin NFS are hard to overlook.