Re: lm-sensors doesn't see the cpu rpm.....

On 28 December 2017 at 18:30, Michael Fothergill <michael.fothergill@gmail.com> wrote:

On 28 December 2017 at 18:14, deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com> wrote:
Michael Fothergill wrote:

> I am running stretch on an AMD FX8350 box which uses an Arctic Freezer 13
> cooler.

I'm just wondering if you used the correct switch for the cpu fan - what is
your mother board?

​This is an interesting idea.  I built the PC myself.  Maybe I connected up the CPU fan lead incorrectly..........

​Wait a minute here.......

When I said I build the PC, what I mean is I screwed the motherboard into the PC and then connected up the 3 case fans to it.

The CPU cooler and FAN were actually attached to the motherboard by the company I bought the entire motherboard bundle from (ie I purchased the board, 8GB RAM preinstalled plus the Arctic Freezer
cooler thermal pasted (and baisted - its Christmas remember!) the firm here in the UK offering it as a job lot.

I can't quite remember if the cpu cooler lead was already attached to the motherboard at that point - I might have done that bit myself (and maybe bungled it - you could be on the money here).

So some thought and imagination could be required here.​

​MF​

The motherboard is an ASUS FX 990 Sabertooth R2.0; the bios version is 2501.

Here is some of the info sent to the ASUS support folks:

[Product Information]
Product Type : Motherboard
Product Model : SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0
Product S/N : EAM0BX019177
Operation System / Firmware or BIOS version : Debian 9 (Linuc) OS/Bios that came with product

[Graphics Card Vendor/model/Chipset/Driver]
Nvidia engt 430 model

[CPU vendor/processor number]
AMD FX 8350

[Memory vendor/model/specification]
Memory Vengeance LP Upgrade: Corsair 8GB 1600Mhz Vengeance LP DDR3

also from the gentoo link

$ grep CONFIG_SENSORS_FAM15H_POWER /boot/config-4.12.10
CONFIG_SENSORS_FAM15H_POWER=m
grep CONFIG_SENSORS_K10TEMP /boot/config-4.12.10
CONFIG_SENSORS_K10TEMP=m

$ lsmod | grep temp
k10temp                16384  0
$ lsmod | grep fam15
fam15h_power           16384  0

does this apply to your kernel?

​I will login to the machine, fire up debian and run

lsmod | grep temp

and

lsmod | grep fam 15

and get you the output.

I think fam15 module is installed - check the lsmod output I already posted.

Please let me know any other commands/diagnostics you want running here.

Regards and thanks.

Michael Fothergill

regards