Re: system boots to terminal

Check grub config too, a setting in it may have disabled graphical interface too.

On Thu, 28 Dec 2017, Tony van der Hoff wrote:

Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2017 09:39:27
From: Tony van der Hoff <lists@vanderhoff.org>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: system boots to terminal

On 28/12/17 10:59, Floris wrote:
Op Thu, 28 Dec 2017 11:41:22 +0100 schreef Tony van der Hoff
<lists@vanderhoff.org>:

Hi,

Since upgrading Jessie to Stretch, I find my system boots to a terminal,
instead of a desktop. I can log in, run startx, and the desktop then
appears. I then need to log in again.

So, how do I get my system to boot straight to the desktop?

Cheers, Tony

Thanks for your swift reply, Floris; much appreciated.

Things you could try:

- Is systemd set to boot into graphical mode?
$ systemctl get-default
graphical.target

If you get an other output run:
# systemctl set-default graphical.target

Yes, I'm seeing that response.

- Reconfigure gdm3 and make sure gdm is the default display manager
# dpkg-reconfigure gdm3
$ cat /etc/X11/default-display-manager
/usr/sbin/gdm3

I should have said I'm using KDE, so I guess gdm stanzas are inappropriate.
Anyway, I'm seeing:
$ cat /etc/X11/default-display-manager
/usr/bin/sddm

Should I dpkg-reconfigure that?