qemu/kvm spice console problem

When I try to start a virtual machine, I get the error:

Error connecting to graphical console:
Error opening Spice console, SpiceClientGtk missing

on whichever VM I try to start.

The Virtual Machine Manager shows the VM is running but I can't connect. The system running the VMs is Debian/Stretch while my workstation is Debian/Buster. This worked until fairly recently (I don't start up the VMs too often, but I'm sure I did sometime in the last month). So far as I can tell, spice is running on both the host and client machines.

Any ideas on what's changed to cause this problem?