Re: VLC failure on Debian 9.3

On Wed, 27 Dec 2017 13:07:32 -0800
John Hosack <hosack410@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a DVD that plays on MacOS using VLC, but will not play on
> Debian using VLC.  Some details
> Disc: Video Format: NTSC, Audio Format: Dolby, Media Format: Standard
> Definition On MacOS 10.12.6 plays using either:
> 	Mac OS DVD Player App version:5500.70l, Framework Version:
> 5.9.6 VLC on Mac: Version 2.2.8
> On Debian 9.3 on Asus EEE PC 900A.
> 	VLC on Debian: Version 2.2.7
> 		sees disc title, spins disc, then nothing
> 	SMPlayer on Debian: Version 16.11.0
> 		sees disc title, spins disc, then error
> 			Exit code 2 "Failed to recognize file format"
>
> Any suggestion?

No, sorry, but it's quite impressive: I've literally just spent the last
half an hour watching a DVD on VLC 2.2.3 on my Windows laptop, because
it did exactly what you're seeing, on VLC 2.2.8 on Debian sid...

I suspect it's a matter of encryption/copy protection rather than what
kind of video is on the disc. A few months ago I used the laptop to
play a different DVD that wouldn't play on a Mac Mini, an issue that
was definitely copy protection.

It's all a bit stupid, because if I hadn't been able to play the disc I
had paid for, the first thing I would have done would be to find a
hacked copy on the Net...

--
Joe