Re: Mixing and Matching DHCP and static IPs

On Tue, Dec 26, 2017 at 05:04:34PM +0100, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> Le 26/12/2017 à 16:49, Michael Stone a écrit :
> >
> > This is unnecessarily complicated, and will make your life harder than
> > it needs to be. The best thing would be to not use the airstation as a
> > router at all, just use it as a switch + wireless access point in a flat
> > configuration, with the router plugged into the switch. Ignore the "wan"
> > port on the airstation and turn off any dhcp or other services that it
> > is providing.
>
> The most important part is "turn off any DHCP service it provides". Othewise
> it will get in the way of the other DHCP server.

I don't see any setting to turn that off in the AirStation web
interface. I considered this approach in the very first place a year
ago, and rejected it for that reason.

> > This will not work the way you think it will. Devices on the airstation
> > will have packets go directly to 192.168.1.3 (because the airstation
> > knows how to get to anything on 192.168.1.0/24) (you never actually
> > specified the netmask for 192.168.1., hopefully that's correct). The
> > packets returning from 192.168.1.3 will go to 192.168.1.1 because
> > 192.168.1.3 does not know how to get to 192.168.11.0/24 and uses the
> > default route instead.
>
> As any SOHO router, it is likely that the Airstation masquerades forwarded
> connections, so other nodes on its WAN side do no see the real 192.168.11.x
> addresses but only the WAN side address of the Airstation, 192.168.1.2.
>
> I guess that even the firewall does not have a special route for
> 192.168.11.0/24, as it is not supposed to see that address range.

You guess correctly Pascal, that's a known limitation of the approach
that I consider irrelevant. There is no need to initiate connections
into the "inner LAN" from the firewall, and connections can be initiated
the other way with no problems.

Mark