Re: Linux Startup Process

On Sun, 24 Dec 2017, steve@airmail.nz wrote:

> Linux Startup Process
>
> You can use the following incantation to list enabled boot services:
>
> $ systemctl list-unit-files --type=service | grep enabled
>
> How do i know what i need, and what i can safely disable ?

That's a good question, I've been tweaking a little myself and I usually
uninstall the package that installs the service if I don't need it.
That's not always easy to figure out though.

> 	i know that accounts-daemon.service is a potential security risk. It is
> part of AccountsService, which allows programs to get and manipulate user
> account information.

I would be interested in learning more about why it is a security risk?

> 	is it related at my account or at the account of other users (guest) ?
>
> [ accounts-daemon.service    : enabled ]
> - could i mask/disable it ?

You can find out what packages need accountsservices easily if you use
aptitude and open the package, the info is near the bottom:

  --\ Suggests (1)
    --\ gnome-control-center (UNSATISFIED)
p     1:3.22.2-3
  --\ Packages which depend on accountsservice (7)
    --\ Depends (5)
p     cinnamon-control-center 3.2.1-3
p     gdm3 3.22.3-3+deb9u1
p     gnome-control-center 1:3.22.2-3
p     mate-polkit 1.16.0-2
i A   user-manager 4:5.8.5-2
    --\ Suggests (2)
i A   lightdm 1.18.3-1
p     xdg-desktop-portal-gtk 0.5-1

If you use any of those packages then disabling the service would probably
affect the behavior of the app, maybe in a negative way.  Probably
different for each package.

The other questions are probably going to be answered in a similar way.

Good topic!