Re: Youtube - newbie guidance

On 23/12/17 02:02 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:

On 12/22/2017 04:06 PM, Ben Finney wrote:

Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> writes:

I've never used youtube before.

One thing to note explicitly: YouTube is deliberately designed to
thwart downloading videos.

YouTube's owner (Google, Alphabet, whatever they call themselves next
year) have chosen a business model [0] that benefits when more people
keep watching videos *via the site* [1]. So downloading videos from
the site works directly against the business model they have chosen.

I personally consider Google goal is to be as obnoxious as possible.
I avoid them whenever physically possible.

I consider their goal to own every piece of data that exists in machine-readable form (with the exception of music, which they've agreed to let iTunes have). This includes your personal data, which explains why they are setting up a surveillance network that puts Orwell's telescreens to shame.

This is why I use DuckDuckGo (https://duckduckgo.com) instead of Google for my search engine, MapQuest or zoom.earth for maps and satellite views, etc.

As for YouTube, if you do a search for (I don't say "google for" for reasons mentioned above) "youtube to mp3", you'll find a number of web pages into which you can paste a YouTube URL and it will convert the sound to an MP3 file which you can then download. Great for getting a piece of music to practise with, for instance. For that matter, some sites will convert to MP4 and you can download the video.

One of my favourite sites has disappeared, but lots remain.

--
cgibbs@surfnaked.ca (Charlie Gibbs)