Re: aplay fails on amd64 laptop

On Sat, 23 Dec 2017, deloptes wrote:

man aplay
  the useful information is given by "aplay -L", which lists
  19 devices, among which 2 are working:
    sysdefault:CARD=Generic
    plughw:CARD=Generic,DEV=0

aplay -D hw:1,0
  this also gives
     aplay: set_params:1299: Sample format non available

or -Dplughw:1,0
  this works, and also  -Dplughw:Generic

  Actually, I found the plughw syntax by accident, when trying once
  aplay file.wav, which gave:

    Playing WAVE 'file.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 11025 Hz, Stereo
    Warning: rate is not accurate (requested = 11025Hz, got = 44100Hz)
         please, try the plug plugin (-Dplug:default)

I appreciate this  comment in the alsa doc:
    It would be even nicer if the --help and man output of aplay would
    define what NAME of "--device=NAME" should be set to. Then people
    would not have to search the Internet to find out.

best regards,
--
Pierre Frenkiel