Re: update-grub: how to avoid scanning all devices

Le 15/12/2017 à 14:42, Richard Owlett a écrit :

I have 2 similar problems which wouldn't be solved by disabling os-prober.

The common characteristic is wishing to probe all operating systems residing on on a specific physical device. I multi-boot. There may be an OS on any number of mounted devices (flash drives etc) which I do not wish to probe.

I do not know any way to tell os-prober to limit the set of probed devices. I guess you could edit /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober to filter out unwanted devices from os-prober output with grep or so.

I also install Debian to a USB flash drive (intended to be multi-boot) for an unrelated machine. When I install the grub adds all OS from the "host" machine.
By default, os-prober is installed and used by GRUB. So, after the installation you must boot the new system, disable os-prober or filter out its output as above and re-run update-grub.