Re: please help! debian won't boot

On 13-12-2017, at 19h 55'54", Pascal Hambourg wrote about "Re: please help! debian won't boot"
> Le 13/12/2017 à 10:54, Ionel Mugurel Ciobîcă a écrit :
> >On 13-12-2017, at 01h 41'15", Jason Brenkus wrote about "please help! debian won't boot"
> >>I am a novice to linux, and I'm in over my head. I'm not sure what went
> >>wrong or went. I am running Jessie. On startup the pc begins to load and
> >>then goes to a screen with nothing but a cursor. Then nothing happens no
> >>matter how long i wait. If i boot in to recover mode i get a screen that
> >>says #IPv6: ADDRCONF (NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready. And no
> >>amount of waiting changes it. I had trouble getting the correct drivers for
> >>my gpu which is a amd radeon r9 270 i believe. The last thing i did before
> >>the system didn't boot was install a mining program.
> >
> >Not knowing that is wrong I would reinstall grub.
>
> IMO it would be a total waste of time. What makes you think that GRUB is
> broken ?

When you do not know too much about what is the status of the system
anything may be a total waste of time.

In the past when using Lilo I got this kind of behaviour. Instead of

> >It is important to know if the system stops before or after
>
> We already know. The above message happens when the ethernet interface is
> activated, which means that the kernel was loaded and started, the initramfs
> was loaded and did its job and the init system started its tasks.

Then you know more than me. I will say then that X config is broken.

What induced me in error was the word cursor. For me that was in tty1
a blinking underscore line. What Jason may have meant was an X shape
mouse, for example.

Ionel