Re: how to install stretch securely

Thank Ben Caradoc-Davies!

Windows used to have a lot of virus
but my XP has been OK for a very long time
though I don't use anti virus software
and IMHO linux is a lot secure than XP

but my stretch is to be used to trade stocks
and nearly all my wealth is in stock account
so I can't make any mistake.

On Monday, December 11, 2017 7:41 PM, Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@transient.nz> wrote:

On 12/12/17 13:22, Long Wind wrote:

> I haven't been able to find "manufacturers utility"and I don't have stretch CD

Using hdparm from a live CD to perform an ATA Secure Erase should
eradicate any malicious content from the drive:
https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase

This is the quickest way of deleting everything on a drive (short of
destroying it).

Last time I checked, Debian Live images do not contain hdparm (and I
have complained about it), but many other distributions do.

One important trick is that many motherboards freeze the disk on boot
and thus prevent ATA Secure Erase. My solution is to suspend/resume
which has unfrozen every combination of motherboard and drive that I
have tried. If you booted from a live disk, you may need to know the
password to unlock after resume.

What makes you think that your computer might have a virus?

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@transient.nz>
Director