Re: Embarrassing security bug in systemd

On Sunday 10 December 2017 05:33:17 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 09, 2017 at 11:29:58AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Thats another very sore point. Where are the man pages? Its
> > installed on 6, maybe 7 machines here, with zero docs.
>
> Not a user of policykit here -- I don't like it (as may be deduced
> from my other posts). But Gene, before getting all impolite on folks
> *giving you stuff for free*, please do some homework. The policykit-1
> package page [1] lists *seven* man pages accompanying the package
> itself:
>
>   /usr/share/man/man1/pkaction.1.gz
>   /usr/share/man/man1/pkcheck.1.gz
>   /usr/share/man/man1/pkexec.1.gz
>   /usr/share/man/man1/pkttyagent.1.gz
>   /usr/share/man/man8/pklocalauthority.8.gz
>   /usr/share/man/man8/polkit.8.gz
>   /usr/share/man/man8/polkitd.8.gz
>
> (and should those be missing in your machines, care to file a bug?)
>
> You read any of them?

The (pk)localauthority file itself, yes, not particularly helpfull. The
man page may be better.

> Thought so.

No, its almost too early, and I've been a type B person for 83 years. And
I have a bigger problem to tend to first on one of my machines. It s/b
be an easy fix, but where in 800+ loc?

> It took me less than 5 minutes to find that out, even not having
> polkit installed. Install && use it, or... leave it (as I do), but
> stop shitting on people offering you (for free) the fruit of their
> labours.

But you did know enough that it had 2 separate names, a huge help.

> >                                      What the hell? If debian or
> > any other distro decides to shove this crap down our throats,
>
> My throat is clear, thankyouverymuch. Nothing has been forced this
> way (by Debian, at least).
>
> >                                                              at
> > least have the courtesy of making the docs available. I just
> > searched thru the repo's with synaptic and came up null and empty on
> > polkit-1.
>
> Once you've read that pages above, you also might want install
> policykit-1-doc [2] with (roughly estimated) 50 HTML files carefully
> written for your reading convenience.

Done that install now, thank you. And that's an arm64 card (rock64)
running stretch, the other problem child is an armhf, a pi3b running
jessie.

> > So where are the docs?
>
> Do you see them now?
>
> Sorry for the somewhat rough tone. But: (1) your tone was also
> somewhat rough, so par for the course, I'd say. And (2) always
> assume the possibility of an error on your side.

For something that can be such a pita, not installing the docs doesn't
seem like my error, they should have been part of the install. IMO.
I first asked a related question about making synaptic-pkexec work over
an ssh -Y login at least a year ago. And was ignored then, and at least
once since.

Sure, I can also use apt, but where then is the list of uninstalled
files? If you can't see that list, how do you know what might be
helpfull?

But now that I've managed to upset the right people, and get a helpfull
answer, I will now tip my hat and say Thank You Very Much.

I did find a synaptic related thing in those /usr/share files a few days
ago, but without a clue how to change it due to this lack of docs, what
I tried didn't work so I restored it. Does it need a restart to make the
edits effective?

Again, thank you very much, this should be helpfull.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)