Re: Gnome strange behavior while typing in some windows

On Thu, Dec 07, 2017 at 11:03:04PM +0000, Paulo Roberto wrote:
> Roberto, I figure out how to trigger and disable the problem and I think
> it's a BUG.
>
> The problem occurs when I press SHIFT + SPACE (together).
>
> I went though the list of shortcuts in the Gnome Control Center under
> Devices ->Keyboard. No shortcut is set for SHIFT + SPACE
>
> As I told you before, Input Source Options is set to: "Use the same source
> for all windows"
> But the shortcuts to change input, in case it was set otherwise are: SUPER
> + SPACE and SHIFT + SUPER + SPACE.
>
> Before yesterday when I typed SHIFT + SPACE I'd got a space character, now
> I have this weird behavior that I don't even know what it means.

The more you describe this issue, the more it sounds like an input
system for some other language. What you are describing is EXACTLY the
behaviour I get (and want) when typing in Japanese. To know what kanji
character to use for what I am typing, the input system has to see
several keypresses' worth of input. It lets me type that input,
underlining the part that it is watching, waiting until I have typed
enough for it to figure out what I mean, or until I press the space bar
to say "that is all you are getting, go figure it out" or Enter which
means "I want you to keep this text exactly as I typed it, don't try to
interpret". I use the input system Anthy which I believe works with
multiple languages. There are others though.

And SHIFT + SPACE is the default method for switching between English
and Japanese input on such systems.

It doesn't have to be something obvious like Japanese -- you'd know
immediately if it were because it would replace the regular alphabet
characters with Japanese hiragana characters as you type -- but maybe
some language with lots of accents etc that needs to see more than one
letter you are typing before knowing what character to use for what you
are typing? Or an input method that chooses to work that way even if
that isn't the only way that could work for that language?

What languages do you have installed? And what do you find if you search
your system for "input method"?

Mark