Re: Embarrassing security bug in systemd

On 12/07/2017 02:31 AM, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
On Thu, Dec 07, 2017 at 10:02:56AM +0000, Tixy wrote:
I'm running Jessie (with systemd running but booting with sysvinit) and
trying to execute halt/poweroff/reboot/shutdown from a terminal without
root privileges gives an error saying I must be superuser. Which has
always been my experience in 10 years of using Debian.

Be careful to double check what you are testing: in your situation it's
not clear whether /sbin/reboot is a symlink to systemctl (part of
systemd, so I would expect this not to work if you were not running
systemd as the init system) or a separate binary.

Jonathan, I started thinking about lost work where someone restarted the computer while I was away from it and thought what if you can lock-screen and lock access to console at the same time. Is that something that could be done? Helpful?

I know someone can pull the cord or press the power button, I got past that.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian Buster - KDE Plasma 5.10.5 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda7
Registered Linux User #380263