Re: Embarrassing security bug in systemd

On Fri, Dec 08, 2017 at 07:09:06PM +0100, Menelaos Maglis wrote:
> Basically, it was a completely inconsistent mess before systemd.
> Now you at least have a central place where you can configure your
> system behaviour.
In the past, we had *no consistency*: inittab had one thing, display
managers another, ACPI scripts another...if you wanted a specific
policy, you had to change three or more separate systems.

Along came [a new system] which provided a single place to define a
consistent policy.

systemd provides a single place to define a consistent policy, provided
your system uses systemd.

That's a good point.

Debian GNU/Linux offers alternative init systems, which people choose
and use. They have their, often different, "default" settings.

It would perhaps be a good idea for the policy to be determined in an
init-agnostic way.o

In anycase, it should be a documented configuration option to allow
for alternative use cases.

No objection there, and I agree that the release notes should probably
have covered the policy changes. That ship has now sailed unfortunately.

--

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Jonathan Dowland