Install stretch in existing Raid 1 partition

I have a debian system with three raid 1 partitions, root and 2 data partitions. It's x86 and I've decided to clean install amd64 and face the music of re configuring everything. My plan/hope is to install a new amd64 stretch in my root partition and then clean up the mess.

The installer manual is silent about installing in an existing raid partition. I could follow my nose but wondered if there is any advice you can provide.

(Note that I have never had any issues booting from the raid root. its md1.2.)