Re: Can somebody explain the benefits of .d directories

Hans-Peter (2017-11-27):
> I have an honest question which is dead-simple: Why do we have ".d" directories

To allow packages to provide configuration snippets. Packages work at
the file level, they provide sets of files. When a package needs to
provide a configuration snippet, for example when it provides a plugin
for another software, it does so by providing a file. When the package
is upgraded, the normal handling of configuration files can be applied.
Modifying a monolithic configuration file would be much more fragile.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George