Re: Bug (?) affecting dramatically laptop battery life introduced in the latest debian testing updates

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 5:19 PM, Pietro Vischia
<pietro.vischia@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a Lenovo T460P, and with stretch I enjoyed a reasonable battery
> life (~4 hours). At the beginning of November I switched to buster,
> and things were still OK.
>
> Last week I made an upgrade as usual, and since reboot the battery
> lasts half an hour to one hour tops, which led me to think that a bug
> has been introduced in the latest updates.
>
> I am not sure of how to pinpoint which is the package responsible for
> that, although I suspect it might be either the ACPI package or the
> battery module of the kernel: could you perhaps please suggest me the
> best way to pinpoint the culprit for producing a detailed bug report?

I would do two things, to find out the root cause: Who or what is
using a lot of current?

1) Use good old 'top' to see if some process is running a lot.
2) Install and use the tool 'powertop' by intel (IIRC). It can list
the actual hardware component using power, for example backlight,
wifi, and suggest ways to put it to sleep.

After you have found the culprit, maybe you can find an apt/dpkg log
and see if something relevant changed.