Re: Debian 8 and Debian 9 Dual Boot

Dan Norton:
> On 11/13/2017 03:53 AM, Jochen Spieker wrote:
>> Dan Norton:
>>
>>> LVM reports as follows:
>>>
>>> dan@debian:/$ sudo vgdisplay -C
>>>    VG           #PV #LV #SN Attr    VSize      VFree
>>>    debian-vg   1     5     0    wz--n- 976.56g 938.20g
>>
>> You can vgreduce debian-vg easily to make room for your planned
>> debian9-vg.
>
> So this must mean that VFree above is bound to debian-vg currently. I had
> not recognized the need to vgreduce. Thanks.

Good that you didn't, because I just noticed I was wrong. :) vgreduce is
only for removing physical volumes from a volume group.

It never occured to me before, but I think each physical volume can only
belong to exactly one volume group. That means if you want to use
separate volume groups you would need to pvresize (shrink) the physical
volume. I have never actually done this (only enlarged PVs).

I would probably accept that this is not easily possible with the
current layout and just use one VG. You do not gain much by separate
volume groups anyway.

J.
--
If I could travel in time I would show my minidisc to the Romans and
become Caesar until the batteries ran out.