Re: Debian 8 and Debian 9 Dual Boot

On 11/13/2017 11:07 AM, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 11:01:27AM -0500, Dan Norton wrote:
Although I didn't say so, each install would have its own set of
directories. Please say more about how to mount the other installation and
share data. How to mount things in another volume group?

That would be as simple as creating a logical volume, call it "data,"
and then configuring it to mount in each installation with a line in
/etc/fstab:

/dev/vg00/data /data .....
Ah. OK. If each installation is in its own volume group, then vg00 above would be replaced with the actual vg.

Since you are talking about installing more than one version of Debian
and switching back and forth between them I assume that you are the only
user of the machine.
Yes.
You would need to make sure that the assigned user
ID for your username matches in both installations and then just make
sure that /data has the appropriate permissions for your user account to
be able to write to it.
OK.

This is generally preferrable to directly mounting directories of the
other installation just to share data, as the dedicated data sharing
directory approach reduces the likelihood that a mistake will cause
problems in the other installation.
Great. If there's a mistake to be made ...

Thanks, Roberto.

 - Dan