Re: Debian Live USB fails; bricks the USB stick

On Tue, 7 Nov 2017, Kent West wrote:

I wanted to create a Live Debian USB stick (using an existing Debian
system). I remember doing such a few years ago with "unetbootin", but when
I looked for "unetbootin" via aptitude search, I couldn't find it, so I did
a quick "unetbootin debian" search, and found a Debian bug report from 2015
(https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=775689) that led me to
believe I should not use unetbootin, but to use the newer method of simply
dd'ing the .ISO to the USB drive.

So I went to
https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/ and
downloaded the AMD64 Cinnamon version of 9.2.0, and then inserted my USB
stick, found it on /dev/sdc, and ran the command:

sudo if=debian-live-9.2.0-amd64-cinnamon.iso
<https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/debian-live-9.2.0-amd64-cinnamon.iso>
of=/dev/sdc

I view your messages (which I gather are sent as html) as plain
text. Clearly there are some obfuscatory artifacts arising from the
conversion process.

But, regardless of this, there is no 'dd' to be found in your command
line above (neither in the text version I have included, nor in the
html version).

What command did you actually issue? (Command history files, like
~/.bash_history , might be more reliable than your wetware memory.)