Re: getting more details on installation of a package (libfftw3-doc)

On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 11:37 AM, Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 02, 2017 at 11:19:02AM -0700, Dan Hitt wrote:
>> I installed the package libfftw3-doc in order to get the info form of
>> the fftw documentation.
>>
>> Nevertheless, when i try to to run the Info-menu command on it (i.e.,
>> type 'm'), i get a message
>> Can't find fftw3.info-1 or any compressed version of it
>> (which comes from info-insert-file-contents).
>>
>> (In the stand-alone version of info, i get the shorter message "Cannot
>> find node ''.")
>>
>> I tried doing update and then dist-upgrade to make sure i didn't have
>> some broken package, but that made no difference.
>>
>> I tried removing and installing the package again, with the same
>> behavior inside emacs.
>>
>> So i would like to get some more details about what apt is actually
>> doing so i can figure out what to do.
>
> Try:
>
> dpkg -L libfftw3-doc
>
> which should list all the files installed by that package. Then
> go and inspect them.
>
> -dsr-

Thanks Dan!

That does indeed show all the fiiles installed, and they include
fftw3.info.gz in /usr/share/info/

That looks like the right place for the file as well (lots of other
*.info.gz files there).

The file does not look corrupt although perhaps the format is unexpected.

Anyhow, your suggestion does make the problem much more tractable.

dan